IN THE CIRCUIT COURT, SIXTH JUDICIAL CIRCUIT
IN AND FOR PASCO AND PINELLAS COUNTIES, FLORIDA
ADMINISTRATIVE ORDER NO. 2010-045 PA/PI-CIR
RE: AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
The Florida Supreme Court has adopted amendments to Rule of
Judicial Administration 2.540 to provide a guide to the courts and the public
on rights and obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). In re
Amendments to Florida Rule of Judicial Administration 2.540, 35 Fla. L. Weekly S267 (May 20, 2010).
Administrative Order PA/PI-CIR-99-60 must be updated to incorporate these changes,
In accordance with Article V, §2, Florida Constitution, Rule of Judicial Administration 2.215, and §43.26, Florida Statutes, it is
1. The Human Rights Office of Pinellas County continues to be designated as the central contact for requests for accommodation under the Act in Pinellas County. The Human Rights Office, by agreement, provides this service to the constitutional and statutory offices of Pinellas County Government.
2. The Pasco County Public Information Department continues to be designated as the centralized contact for requests for accommodation under the Act in Pasco County. The Public Information Department, by agreement, provides this service to the constitutional and statutory offices of Pasco County Government.
3. The central contacts may forward any request for accommodation to the appropriate constitutional officer or statutory offices’ ADA Coordinator for response to any accommodation request. For requests for accommodation in a court proceeding, the request should include a description of the accommodation sought, a statement of the impairment that necessitates the accommodation, and the time frame in which the accommodation is needed. The request should not include information about the merits of the case.
4. The Administrative Office of the Court must post on the website for the Sixth Judicial Circuit and in each court facility the procedures for obtaining an accommodation and the grievance procedure.
5. Except as otherwise provided, all notices of court proceedings to be held in a public facility, and all process compelling appearance at such proceedings, shall include the following statement in bold face, 14-point Times New Roman or Courier font:
a. For proceedings before the Courts of Pinellas County:
“If you are a person with a disability who needs any accommodation in order to participate in this proceeding, you are entitled, at no cost to you, to the provision of certain assistance. Please contact the Human Rights Office, 400 S. Ft. Harrison Ave., Ste. 300, Clearwater, FL 33756, (727) 464-4062 (V/TDD) at least 7 days before your scheduled court appearance, or immediately upon receiving this notification if the time before the scheduled appearance is less than 7 days; if you are hearing or voice impaired, call 711.”
b. For proceedings before the Courts of Pasco County:
“If you are a person with a disability who needs any accommodation in order to participate in this proceeding, you are entitled, at no cost to you, to the provision of certain assistance. Please contact Public Information Dept., Pasco County Government Center, 7530 Little Rd., New Port Richey, FL 34654; (727) 847-8110 (V) for proceedings in New Port Richey; (352) 521-4274, ext. 8110 (V) for proceedings in Dade City at least 7 days before your scheduled court appearance, or immediately upon receiving this notification if the time before the scheduled appearance is less than 7 days; if you are hearing or voice impaired, call 711.”
6. The Clerks of the Circuit Court for Pasco and Pinellas Counties may refuse to issue any document prepared by counsel that does not contain the appropriate language required by this Order.
Administrative Order PA/PI/CIR-99-60 is hereby rescinded.
DONE AND ORDERED in Chambers at Clearwater, Pinellas County, Florida, this 18th day of August 2010.
ORIGINAL SIGNED August 18, 2010
BY J. THOMAS MCGRADY, CHIEF JUDGE
cc: All Judges
The Honorable Bernie McCabe, State Attorney
The Honorable Bob Dillinger, Public Defender
The Honorable Jim Coats, Sheriff, Pinellas County
The Honorable Bob White, Sheriff, Pasco County
The Honorable Ken Burke, Clerk of the Circuit Court, Pinellas County
The Honorable Paula S. O’Neil, Clerk of the Circuit Court, Pasco County
John Hendry, Regional Counsel
Gay L. Inskeep, Trial Courts Administrator
Debbie Gay, Assistant Court Services Director, Pasco County Clerk’s office
Rice, Deputy Courts Administrator,
Court Security Division, Pinellas County Sheriff
Bar Associations, Pasco and Pinellas Counties
Law Libraries, Pasco and Pinellas Counties